From Leesburg, Alabama, USA:

I am 34 years old, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I was started on Glucophage. My fasting blood sugars were 95-115 mg/dl [5.3-6.4 mmol/L], and two hours after meals they were 120-180 mg/dl [6.7-10 mmol/L]. However, about a month ago, I began having low blood sugars (70-100 mg/dl [3.4-5.6 mmol/L] and no higher), and I feel really hungry and weak. I read that Glucophage should not cause lows, and I haven't changed anything in the last month. Do people with type 2 diabetes experience a honeymoon period? Any other ideas on what could be happening?

Your blood sugars sound great, but you didn't mention your hemoglobin A1c. If your A1c is below 7%, then I would ask your doctor to reduce your dose of Glucophage [metformin] to see if you can maintain good blood sugars with less. Your improvement since diagnosis could be from the Glucophage, but it can also be from lifestyle changes you may have made regarding your meals and physical activity.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2