Question:

From Miller, Missouri, USA:

My eight year old son has gained 20 pounds in the last six to nine months. He craves "sweets/candies" and seems to be thirsty all of the time. He also has skin conditions like persistent athlete's foot and recently an unexplained rash that spread around his abdomen. The rash has since gone away. He doesn't seem to urinate frequently, that I have noticed. Also, about two months ago, he would vomit about once a week. The vomiting has since stopped as well, but I am concerned there is an underlying problem to all of this. Is diabetes a possibility?

Answer:

This does not sound like diabetes, but your son needs a good medical history and physical exam with appropriate studies to find out why he is vomiting, why he is gaining weight and what these other things mean. Take your son to his doctor and get some help.