Question:

From Southampton, England:

My mother, who has type 2 diabetes and takes insulin, has been feeling very faint and sweating badly at regular intervals. She tells me it is due to her diabetes, and she needs to eat something. She has regular meals, but there are not healthy. Each time she has one of these attacks she eats chocolate bars, or cakes, telling me that she has to have sugar. I"m no expert but I'm sure this is wrong. What should she eat if she feels faint?

Answer:

There are several possible causes for your mother's symptoms. I am not sure it is hypoglycemia, although it certainly could be and is more likely especially in an insulin-treated patient.

In addition, I have seen these symptoms in patients who have no low blood sugar readings. Ask your mom to check her blood sugar level more frequently over the next several days and, if possible, during the symptoms you report. If hypoglycemia is confirmed, she needs to adjust her insulin and meal plan with the help of a doctor trained in diabetes care.