Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I am 14 years of age, have had type 1 diabetes for the past nine years, and have been on an insulin pump for the past year and a half. I am 5 feet, 3 inches tall, weigh 138 pounds, and I need to lose a few pounds. I do eat pretty well and exercise for two hours every day. Could it be that my insulin is not working as well?

Answer:

If you want to lose some weight, you either need more exercise to burn off calories or less food intake -- plus an appropriate adjustment of your insulin levels. Your diabetes team can give you specific advice.

DTQ-20020801181019C
Posted to Weight and Weight Loss