Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

My nine year old son has been using NPH for six months now, and I read a in a publication by a medical doctor that NPH dangerous and that he does not recommend its use. Something about the additive used to delay the absorption. Have you heard of this theory and should I be concerned?

Answer:

NPH has been used since the 1930s. I have not heard of any such stories about special problems with the additives in NPH, have not seen any problems treating more than 3000 youngsters for more than 22 years as a pediatric diabetologist and have not seen anything written or spoken about at all the meetings I attend in the USA. So, I suspect this is another goofy story traveling around the Internet. Caveat emptor!