Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I just heard of a theory that if you eat rapidly-absorbed carbs, the insulin level goes up (and down) rapidly, and that rapid change somehow causes hunger, compared to if you eat slowly-absorbed carbs. Is there any evidence for this?

Answer:

I haven't heard or read about this theory but have always known about the lag between the brain and the stomach regarding the feeling of fullness. It probably has something to do with blood sugar levels in the end. I know that all weight loss programs preach slowing down when you eat.

JM

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Good question. I do think we see that in folks without diabetes on occasion, but I think it is mostly in folks who had true hypoglycemia, for example, lacking some enzymes or in those with chronic alcoholism.

LSF

DTQ-ONCEMWWQ20010814