Question:

From Pakistan:

I am 18 years old, I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a month back, and I have several questions. I don't know what I can eat and what I cannot eat. My glucose level rises and is around the 250 mg/dl mark [13.9 mmol/L] every morning even though I am controlling my diet and using NPH with and Actrapid at night.Can I play games like basketball? Is my disease curable?

Answer:

So far, there is no cure for diabetes. Meanwhile, through education and advice from your health care providers, you can live a long and healthy life with diabetes. It is very important that you learn everything you can about controlling diabetes through meal planning, physical activity and medication as soon as possible so that you can take good care of yourself.

Ask your physician how you can be referred to a dietitian and to an endocrinologist for a consultation to help you learn how to control your diabetes.

JS