Question:

From Big Island, Hawaii, USA:

My son has an IEP for his autism, and we do include some brief statements about his diabetes. On their standard form, there isn't much room for information other than brief statements. He has a diabetes care plan, emergency action plan and doctors orders in place. I have been reviewing your sample 504 plans, and they seem much more comprehensive and include an introductory clause about diabetes and numbers for optimal learning. Can my son have both an IEP and 504 plan in place?

Answer:

First, It is very important that you contact your State's department of special education and get their manual on the educational rights of students with disabilities. You will use this manual often, and each state has one.

As far as 504's versus IEP's, here's the basic difference: 504 plans allow for accommodations or modifications in a child's day, but they do not offer any direct support, such as special education teachers or pull-out services. It is relatively easy to get a 504 plan in place as it does not require a full case study with psychological, educational, social-work and other evaluations. An IEP requires a full case study, can include the modifications and accommodations in the 504, but will also offer some level of direct support such as special education services.

JWB

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I can understand your confusion. Some may disagree with me, but in my opinion an IEP and a 504 plan are two different names for the same thing. Form blanks can be intimidating because they attempt to limit your input. Always feel free to add an additional page as an addendum to any issue that you feel needs further discussion. It sounds as if you have been an active participant in your child's care and education. Keep up the good work!

DSH

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

You can have a 504 and an IEP. You can include any and all information related to your child in these plans. You can add supplemental pages, attachments of your own or from your health care team, or those available from this website, American Diabetes Association, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, etc. Do what works and get the school team working with you on this. You are your child's advocate, of course.

[Editor's comment: See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare