From Bellevue, Washington, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes approximately three years ago, and I began to develop gastrointestinal symptoms (bloating, pain, gas) that seemed to always be present. I did an elimination diet and found that wheat seemed to be my problem.

With further reading, I discovered that people with type 1 diabetes often have celiac disease, so I then went on a gluten-free diet. I have maintained this for for about six weeks now and have noticed that my insulin requirements have slowly been decreasing, Now I'm at the point where I'm almost sure that I must be making some insulin myself again. I had a C-peptide drawn last year which was negative. Is it possible that my beta cells are regenerating since I removed the gluten from my diet?

It is unlikely that is the case. The gluten in the diet exacerbates the gut symptoms but does not allow for regeneration of the insulin-producing cells, the beta cells. The diagnosis of celiac disease should be pursued with your physician. Antibodies can be measured. Small bowel biopsy through an endoscope may also be required.

Posted to Research: Cure