From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I work with our State's pre-kindergarten program, and one of our sites will have a child with diabetes, who has to have insulin shots and other forms of treatment while in our care. Also, I want the other children and their parents to know that this child is just like any other child, aside from the need some for special medical attention. What kind of classes will our staff need to take, if any? Are there any workshops we can hold for either parents or children so that the other people (the kids and their parents) know what to expect with this child in the class?

Congratulations on being proactive for this child! I wish more people in school settings would take this approach.

I suggest you set up a 504 meeting with this child's parents to develop a care plan for use at school. See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes. Typically, the parents of a child will set such a meeting. It might also be possible for a member of this child's diabetes team to attend. You should expect the either the child's parents or a member of the diabetes team will provide you the necessary education to safely manage this child at school.

There are several good books and videos for both children and adults about diabetes that might assist you in educating others. See Books and Videos for Children and Teens and Books for Parents, Adults and Older Kids.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I suggest calling your local American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation chapter.

Posted to School and Daycare