From Alabama, USA:

My six year old son, who has had diabetes since he was 17 months old, can check his own blood sugars and knows when he is feeling good or bad. There are nurses who float to the schools in the district, but there is no nurse at my childs' school full-time. If there is a nurse at one particular school in the district should he be forced to attend that particular school? Is it right or not to transfer my child? The school official, not the principal, said neither my husband nor I can check blood sugars everyday, my son will have to move. Is that some sort of discrimination?

The issue raised here is one that could go either way. The schools have an obligation to provide appropriate services for all children, including those with special needs. However, the district must provide transportation to a school that they designate that is beyond the local school. There is no requirement that educational services appropriate for a child with special needs be provided at the neighborhood school.

On the other hand, if the way services are provided would have the effect of forcing all special needs kids into one school, this could be subject to review. I would suggest contacting your State department of education for assistance and asking them if the local district is treating your child's needs appropriately).

Posted to School and Daycare