Question:

From Malaysia:

My husband, who has had diabetes for more than five years, was recently diagnosed with bronchiectasis and was told by the chest physician that the underlying cause was his diabetes. Just last week, he had pneumonia and was hospitalized for five days. Could diabetes cause bronchiectasis due to a low body immune system?

Answer:

I am not sure about the diabetes causing bronchiectasis. My understanding is that recurrent infections can cause the bronchiectasis. To say this is caused by diabetes seems like a big jump.

DTQ-20020818110737A