From Maumelle, Arkansas, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes and want to know if I can still have healthy kids.

Yes, with some caution. Before you do anything towards trying to have kids, I would suggest you speak with your gynecologist or your diabetes doctor. They have plenty of information to help you with this question. Pregnancy should be a planned event in the life of a woman with type 1 diabetes. If you do not work to plan the pregnancy, you put your child at risk of birth defects when conception occurs at the time of poor blood sugar control.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Family Planning