Question:

From Maumelle, Arkansas, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes and want to know if I can still have healthy kids.

Answer:

Yes, with some caution. Before you do anything towards trying to have kids, I would suggest you speak with your gynecologist or your diabetes doctor. They have plenty of information to help you with this question. Pregnancy should be a planned event in the life of a woman with typeá1 diabetes. If you do not work to plan the pregnancy, you put your child at risk of birth defects when conception occurs at the time of poor blood sugar control.

[Editor's comment: See Planning a pregnancy at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Family Planning