Question:

From Sydney, Australia:

My mother, who has had diabetes for several years controlled with diet and pills, at times can be overly cautious with her eating habits. She eats in very small amounts and religiously takes her medication which sometimes causes her sugar level to drop drastically, and for the last two weeks, she has had bouts of low sugar levels despite changing her eating habits. I am very concerned about this. Would you please advise?

Answer:

Perhaps your mother needs to meet with a diabetes educator to take a closer look at what she is eating and so forth. Is she actually checking her blood sugar with a meter when she thinks it is low? It is important to try to confirm a low sugar whenever possible. I would strongly recommend that she consult with a specialist to get to the bottom of this.

JS

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Type 2