Question:

From Trenton, Georgia, USA:

My almost 21 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, is using IV drugs and does not take care of her health. She has a child that I now have custody of because of her neglect. I have tried to find a facility to help her, but, because of her diabetes, I have been unable to locate a a center that will take her. Can you please help me in locating one. Do you have any information on people with diabetes and drug use?

Answer:

Diabetes and drug use -- nicotine, alcohol or any other drug abuse -- is a lethal combination. Sounds like your daughter may have been abused or is depressed with low self-esteem. Her therapists may be able to help answer your questions, but at age 21, she must decide whether or not she wants to get help and make any changes.

If you have legal custody for your grandchild then by all means keep protecting this grandchild if your daughter does not take appropriate care and responsibility.

Posted to Other Social Issues