From Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA:

My 32 year old sister, who is four months pregnant and has type 2 diabetes, just started on Lantus about six weeks ago. Her doctor says it's safe to take during pregnancy, but her pharmacist says it is not. This is really her first pregnancy since she miscarried last time.

I am not aware of any studies specifically testing the safety of Lantus (insulin glargine) during pregnancy, although it is certainly being used in pregnant women. If your sister is worried about this, and needs a long acting type of insulin, I would suggest switching over to Ultralente. She may have to take two injections per day instead of one.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Family Planning