Question:

From Harrison, Arkansas, USA:

My four year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago, still attends daycare and will start school next year. When is the appropriate time to go and talk with the schools about his diabetes care? Should I start now or wait?

Answer:

I think I would start the conversation with the school nurse or school health clerk in the Spring. I think as of now that person is quite overwhelmed with new children and their health needs. Be sure to schedule a time to discuss your child and is diabetes.

There are excellent resources on this site for helping you to be aware of questions to ask the school health folks and teachers and also what information you need to provide so all goes well.

LSF

[Editor's comment: See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare