Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

I have type 2 diabetes, and on an irregular basis and even during the night, I get very hot feet, and I'm very uncomfortable. This condition is more so on the left foot than the right, and at times to above the ankle. It doesn't occur when I am exercising, but would occur after a heavier meal or after drinking wine (two glasses). I think it is diet related. Is there something that I can do to prevent or alleviate the problem?

Answer:

I can't rule out you don't have a form of diabetic neuropathy. The symptoms you describe can be seen with that condition. It would be helpful for you to have your physician examine you and see if you have other objective findings for neuropathy, such as loss of sensation to light touch, hot and cold, or vibration. The tingling with neuropathy is worse at night and may not be perceived when doing exercise.

Better treatment of high blood sugars and other non-narcotic medications can help this discomfort. Other forms of neuropathy can occur. You will need to see your physician about these. I am not sure about the association with alcohol.