From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

I am fairly sure that my 15 year old son has a form of Mauriac Syndrome, but he has now had good control (hemoglobin A1c of 7-8%) for about fifteen months. How reversible is it with good control? Are there any studies that show the general rate of improvement? Are there any kids who do not improve?

Mauriac Syndrome is so rare now that I'm not sure I have had a case recently. Nevertheless, as I understand, the conventional wisdom is when the diabetes control returns things get better. Be sure, if it isn't that someone has looked for other illnesses, maybe even celiac disease.

[Editor's comment: Also, if the thyroid gland's function hasn't been checked recently, testing for hypothyroidism should be done. WWQ]