Question:

From Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA:

My three and a half year old grandson, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago, and today he was also diagnosed with childhood nephrotic syndrome. Is there a connection between the kidney disease and the diabetes? Would it be a good idea for my daughter to consult a specialist in immune deficiency disease to see if there is some kind of breakdown in my grandson's system?

Answer:

It's very rare to have both type 1 diabetes and nephrotic syndrome. I have been caring for children with diabetes for more than 25 years and have never seen this in such a young child.

I would suggest that your grandchild be seen by a pediatric diabetologist and a pediatric nephrologist so that they can work together to see if there is any link at all, coordinate treatment, etc. These are two complicated illnesses, certainly requiring very special expertise.