Question:

From Rochester, New York, USA:

My seven year old son is taking Risperdal, and recently, my nephew was taken off Zyprexa after this drug apparently brought about the onset of type 1 diabetes. His mother said that since this has happened to many kids, the drug is no longer used in children.

Since Risperdal is not officially approved for kids under 12, and we have a family history of diabetes, I am worried it (which has worked wonders on my own son's behavior) could also bring about the onset of type 1 diabetes. Is there any evidence that Risperdal can bring about the onset of type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

Not to my knowledge or in the literature on Risperdal.