Question:

From London, United Kingdom:

I have a child of four who has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for two years, and a younger child. If I had diabetes, particularly pre-clinical diabetes, could I pass this on to my child by breastfeeding? After all, other immunities are apparently passed on in breast milk. I have a child of four who has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for two years, and a younger child.

Answer:

The evidence on this theme is sparse, but such as it is, it suggests that the transmission of autoantibodies such as anti-GAD. either by the placenta or in breast milk does not induce type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes in the infant. In fact, there is quite a lot of other work showing that the early substitution of formula for breast milk actually increases the possibility of type 1 diabetes developing in the child.

On the other hand, in the case of type 2 diabetes, there is some evidence that prolonged breast feeding may ultimately induce obesity and type 2 diabetes in the child.