From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

Is there any difference between the effectiveness of Glucophage and generic metformin?

I have never heard of a difference in Glucophage [metformin] versus generic metformin, but I have heard of a difference for some people with Glucophage XR versus metformin.

Glucophage XR, the extended release version, is taken once daily with the evening meal and lasts for 24 hours so it is certainly easier than metformin (which is usually taken in two to three divided doses). In addition, some people who complained of gastrointestinal (stomach) side effects and stopped taking metformin in the past are successfully able to take Glucophage XR.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes