I was wondering if there are any diabetes research projects going on that I could donate some computer time to. My sister has diabetes, as did my father and grandfather. Right now, I run SETI-at-home just to keep this thing productive. I would love to replace SETI for something more down to Earth. I found a few cancer research sites. If there are no diabetes sites, can you recommend a worthwhile project in need?

As far as I am aware, there are no distributed computing efforts underway to benefit diabetes-related research. It's an interesting idea, but requires an appropriate problem -- basically, analysis of large amounts of data. That's why the SETI program is a natural -- tons of radio frequency data is collected daily.

Does anyone else know of any medical problems that are being approached via distributed computing?

[Editor's comment: SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data. See SETI@home. WWQ]