From Castaic, California, USA:

I'm a teenager, and I believe I have hypoglycemia, but I could be wrong. I have all the symptoms except for coma and seizures. I go to school from 7:00 am-5:00 pm and don't eat. I mean to, but it just doesn't fit in.

I'm in ROTC from 1:00 pm -4:00 pm during which we are outside most of that time and march. At about 2:00 pm -3:00 pm or so I get really tired, I cant keep my eyes open, and I'm really weak and thirsty. I don't tell anyone because I'm independent, but my friends usually can tell since I become a bitch and get irritable. They hand me a soda which I take one sip of, and in a couple of minutes, I'm bouncing off the walls. If I don't, I just stand there because I don't think I can move. My body releases back-up sugar or something, and I'm usually okay, but my next episode comes back in a few minutes. I really like that class, but it's against the rules to eat during it. Is there a law that says I'm allowed to eat during that time?

These two weeks have been really hard, I've had headaches, and I feel unusually ill this week. My mother told me I could get I really don't want to have a seizure or go into a coma. I almost did once so a handful of my friends sort of know what to do, but I barely know. Also, I'm wondering if I should get a glucose monitor so I can keep track. Do I need to? Is it serious or should I try to eat whenever?

I went to a doctor who drew blood, but never sent me the results. When my mother finally picked them up, everything was normal. However, they told us that they weren't checking for hypoglycemia. They were checking if anything else was wrong they told us it couldn't be diagnosed.

The diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia is not really made on a specific laboratory test. Rather, it is made on the basis of the clinical symptoms that a patient has. It sounds like you could have this problem.

The first thing to do is find a dietitian who can talk to you about modifying your diet to prevent the symptoms in the first place. The diet will require you to eat frequently throughout the day.

[Editor's comment: If your physician is unable to explain what's happening, perhaps your parents and you should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. WWQ]