Question:

From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I have heard that the West Nile virus is particularly harmful to the elderly, children, and those with compromised immune systems. Does my six year old child's type 1 diabetes effectively place her in two of the three categories with the most to fear from exposure to the West Nile virus?

Answer:

Most people with reasonable diabetes control are not at any more risk from West Nile or any other viral encephalitis, than those without diabetes. Anyone with diabetes, of course, when they are ill, must do more to manage their body's needs. With very poor and prolonged poor glucose control, immune system problems are more common but this is usually avoidable with reasonable care. Mosquito control should be practiced if you are in an area where this is a possibility. You should ask this questions to your diabetes health care team since they will know more specifics.