From Rochester, New York, USA:

A five year old little girl, just diagnosed with diabetes and treated with diet only, goes to my son's babysitter and I am trying to help the babysitter get some information about for what kind of food she can give her. The other problem as to why we are trying to find information out is because the girl's mother is already non-compliant about the diabetes. Please help us keep this little girl healthy!

I can understand your concern. At such a young age, it becomes a challenge to balance optimal blood glucose control with providing adequate calories for a growing child. I would recommend that you assist the mother in contacting a Registered Dietitian who specializes in pediatric diabetes. He/she can individualize a meal plan that will help maintain optimal blood sugars and provide appropriate calories.

[Editor's comment: It is highly unusual that a five year old would be treated with diet alone, unless she is grossly obese and has type 2 diabetes or Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young. Type 1 is by far the most common kind of diabetes seen in this age group.

If you and/or the babysitter have concerns, I suggest that you speak with this child's mother directly to obtain information. If either of you feel this child is in great danger, you should report the situation to your local child welfare authority. SS]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other Social Issues