From Frankfort, West Virginia, USA:

My 15 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes and uses an insulin pump, is very active in sports and needs to gain weight for football. What should he do to gain weight? Are there any supplements or weight gain products he can take?

I would suggest that you and your son meet with your diabetes team dietitian or speak with your physician who can refer you to an dietitian who has experience in weight gain without compromising optimal blood sugar control. A lot of times, weight gain will cause increased insulin needs and vice versa.

I would caution you and your son regarding supplements for weight gain since some of these contain an excess of protein (which may be contraindicated for a person with diabetes). Hopefully, your son can maintain a healthy body weight to benefit his health and diabetes and be at a comfortable weight for football.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss