From Drybranch, West Virginia, USA:

My two and a half year old son has always been very tall since birth, and his weight has been normal in proportion to his height. Over the last several months, he has gained a lot of weight very quickly. At age two and a half, he now weighs 54 pounds and is about 3 feet tall. I have noticed that he is constantly thirsty and begs for milk all day long. He has also begun wanting to eat a lot more than usual.

His pediatrician put him on a diet but it's not working. In fact, he has gained seven more pounds! Another thing I noticed is that he complains of his legs itching, his "pee pee" hurts, and I'm afraid he may be developing type 2 diabetes. We have a family history of it, but it is grandparents and aunts who have it. Do you think I should inform the doctor or wait and see if he develops more symptoms?

Your son seems to have what is called exogenous infantile obesity being that his BMI is about 30, well above the 95th percentile for his age. First, I think he should get the minimal tests for any sugar intolerance such as fasting blood sugar and a urinalysis before asking the help of both a dietitian and a pediatric endocrinologist who might explore other even much rarer possible diagnoses.