Question:

From Slovenija:

I am 22 years old, I have had diabetes for three years and, while the first year was great, I got a hypoglycemia while alone in the car. From that moment I am afraid of low sugar, so I have constantly high sugar. I am aware of what this means for me, but I cannot help myself. What can I do to make this fear disappear?

Answer:

Having a severe hypoglycemic reaction is scary, especially if it occurs while you are driving. Worrying about going low again is normal. However, the solution is not to keep your blood sugars high, but instead to work closely with your diabetes team to help you learn ways to predict and prevent severe lows. Please contact them and schedule an appointment to learn ways to help you maintain a reasonable blood sugar range without running too high or too low.

JWB