Question:

From London, UK:

My four year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, has fairly frequent low readings, and we are trying to reduce the number of low readings. I have been reassured that, so long as my child doesn't suffer a coma, there should be no long-term damage from low levels. Should I have any concerns?

Answer:

There is recent evidence from Children's Hospital in Zurich that high sugar levels are related to poor cognitive function just as there is also evidence that recurrent severe episodes of hypoglycemia is also not good for the brain. So, do the best that you can. Be vigilant. Frequent monitoring helps minimize hypoglycemia and identify patterns of hypoglycemia that can be prevented. Frequent monitoring also helps identify and prevent patterns of hyperglycemia as well.

DTQ-20020826185441B