From New Braunfels, Texas, USA:

My eight year old step-daughter's school nurse did a screening to check for diabetes because she is overweight and her school nurse says she has all the symptoms. I don't know exactly what she did because her mother didn't want to explain the details to us. We made an appointment with her doctor, but it's in a few weeks. What are the symptoms of diabetes?

She also has urine infections. Could that cause diabetes? Does stress cause diabetes? I would like some facts before going to the doctor.

I agree with her visiting her physician for a diabetes screen. Please see Diabetes Basics for a list of information that you may find helpful about diabetes. In addition, stress doesn't cause diabetes.

[Editor's comment: If your step-daughter is overweight, there's a chance that she has type 2 diabetes. See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. WWQ]