Question:

From Defiance, Ohio, USA:

I was asked in a Chat Room what books there are to help parents of a child who uses his diabetes against them to get what he wants. The parents did have a child who died so they are overprotective of the child that is left.

The people are from the UK and have limited resources to work with. Their doctor only treats the diabetes and not the behavior. I need some suggestions to give to this man as to what to do. I have told him to check with his local diabetes association, ask his doctor to refer them to a behavioral therapist or to contact their local hospital for some therapists.

Answer:

The most important thing this family can do is to seek the support of a psychologist or other mental health professional who has expertise in working with children with a chronic illness. Some books that might be helpful are:

1. Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin.
  2. Raising A Child With Diabetes by Linda Siminerio, RN, MS, CDE, and Jean Betschart, RN, MN, CDE.
  3. The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Tim Wysocki, PhD.

JWB

Posted to Behavior