Question:

From Louisiana, USA:

My blood sugar has been in good control for two years now, but I developed lower back pain with a pinched nerve. I went to a chiropractor, and after starting the treatments for my back and nerve, my levels have shot up to around the 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] fasting. My chiropractor says they should come down once my back is in order again. Has anyone heard of this? Will they come back down?

Answer:

Pain is known to increase blood sugars because the pain response activates the nervous system to make adrenaline and other hormones that antagonize insulin and blood sugar control. Similarly, if steroids were used for part of the treatment, these agents can increase blood sugars. In the absence of pain or steroids, I am not sure what the connection might be.