Question:

From Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA:

I am 43 years old, and I have had type 1 diabetes for about seven years. I take good care of myself and can usually keep my blood sugar below 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. However, in the last year, even though I haven't had any erectile disfunction, as I orgasm I do not ejaculate or if I do it's very little. This concerns my wife very much, and she takes it as a sign that I am uninterested in her physically. Could this be a symptom of my disease or is something else likely the cause? Surely it's not just getting older. One year ago everything was fine, and then suddenly it seemed I've just dried up. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer:

One of the additional things to consider is that this might be a drug effect. Some medications dull or limit orgasmic potential. On the other hand, this may be treated by examining your medications and possibly substituting with other drugs. If it occurs, I would see a urologist or another health professional with expertise in this area.

[Editor's comment: It sounds from your description that you might have retrograde ejaculation. In some cases, it may be related to diabetic neuropathy. You'll find lots of discussions of this topic if you search the Internet for this term. WWQ]