From Nokomis, Illinois, USA:

I am 38 years old, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant eight years ago, and after I delivered, my levels returned to normal. However, four months ago I was told I have type 2 diabetes. I was given Actos [pioglitazone] once a day and put on a 1500 calorie diet, and I have since lost 20 pounds. My great frustration is that in the past month I have not been able to lose any additional weight, and my doctor says I still need to lose another 25 pounds so then I may be able to go off the Actos. I walk two miles a day, and I stick to this diet. What can I do to start losing again?

Congratulations to you on the weight loss and the lifestyle changes that you have achieved thus far. It is not uncommon to hit a plateau in weight loss such as you have described. Generally a plateau such as this responds well to a change in your exercise regimen.

Consider increasing your exercise intensities, varying your fitness workouts (cross training), and adding strength training to your exercise routine to increase your metabolism. You may wish to work with a fitness professional, personal trainer or clinical exercise physiologist to accomplish this. Your diabetes care team may have suggestions as to professionals such as these in your area.

You might also benefit from additional follow up a dietitian, who can assist you with readjustments to your dietary intake as needed. Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and best wishes for your continued success!

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss