From Sarasota, Florida, USA:

My 14 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, now sees a pediatric endocrinologist. As he leaves childhood, should he continue to see a pediatric endocrinologist or should he move on to an adult endocrinologist. In other words, does a pediatric endocrinologist specialize in type 1 diabetes or in children with diabetes? If the answer is to switch to an adult endocrinologist, should we be looking for someone who specializes in type 1 diabetes or is expecting to find such a specialist unrealistic? If there's no clear cut answer, what do most maturing teens do?

I see children through college. If you pay the bills, they are children. Seriously, pediatric endocrinologists learn about teens and young adults through training and experience. I can't imagine a pediatric endocrinologist sending a 14 year old away.

[Editor's comment: I think most teens with diabetes stay with their pediatric endocrinologists at least until age 16. Most pediatric diabetes centers, in fact, will have special programs for teens.

Teens, as you know, are a special breed. There's a lot going on during this phase of life, and they require care by people who are not only knowledgeable about diabetes, but about teens in general. I would suggest that your son stay put for now, unless there seems to be a major problem. SS]

[Editor's comment: Most adult endocrinologists see a substantial number of patients with type 1 diabetes, most of whom were diagnosed as kids or teens. Sometimes, by personal preference, adult endocrinologists specialize in diabetes, while others choose to specialize in other aspects of endocrinology.

As a general guideline, when your son is in his late teens, and deciding about college, it would be time to start doing some checking. See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some additional thoughts that might help. WWQ]