Question:

From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

I have had restless leg syndrome for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 18 months ago, but doctor and I have concluded that diabetes symptoms had been there for six years, not showing up because of my active life style. It has always waxed and waned, but has been significantly more persistent during the last year. Advil calms it and Tylenol 3 stops it. Can worsening of restless leg syndrome be a complication of diabetes?

Answer:

Restless leg syndrome can be associated with diabetic neuropathy. Whether you have other findings of diabetic neuropathy, I am not sure. Other common problems, such as iron deficiency anemia, can also be associated with the problem.

Treatment with medications other than narcotics may be helpful. However, the medications available to treat this condition are available only as prescription medications through your doctor.