From a personal trainer in Miami, Florida, USA:

A friend with diabetes asked me about exercise. I know of course that aerobic exercise is all good, from walking to swimming, etc., but is weight training also good and helpful? I would think so, but I am not 100% sure.

Strength training is also an important component of overall fitness for the person with diabetes. The person with diabetes should, however, be carefully evaluated by a health care professional prior to beginning an exercise program to identify the presence of any diabetes related complications. Strength training may significantly elevate blood pressure, potentially increasing risk of injury to the cardiovascular system, kidneys, and eyes of the person with diabetes. Modification of the exercise program may be necessary in the presence of cardiovascular disease, retinopathy, or neuropathy.

Posted to Exercise and Sports