Question:

From New Boston, Texas, USA:

A week ago, my 16 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for 14 months, sprained his ankle in football practice. The coach pretty much let him rest, put ice on it, and had him do some small movements to keep his foot and ankle loose. They are starting to work him with some light running now, and it seems to be doing fine, but I want to know about his healing process. Is this okay or will that hurt him? I want him to heal correctly.

Answer:

Provided that your son's blood sugars are in excellent control, the healing process should be similar to that of a person without diabetes. Physical therapy (PT) is an important component of this healing process. I would encourage you to take advantage of this aspect of healthcare, as it is important to maintain the joint's range of motion. Consulting with a physical therapist would allow this to be done safely and effectively.

You will also want to work closely with your son's diabetes team in managing blood sugars, as the decrease in activity levels during the recovery process may require adjustments to both insulin and food intake. Here's wishing your son a speedy recovery and successful return to the football field.

DMW

Posted to Exercise and Sports