Question:

From West Palm Beach, Florida, USA:

I employ a person with newly diagnosed diabetes. What effect does working in the sun have on someone who has diabetes?

Answer:

Working in the sun has no dramatic effect on diabetes that is properly managed. Any person with diabetes can occasionally have high or low blood sugars which can affect their stamina and short-term performance, especially in hot weather working outside. I would encourage your employee to drink plenty of water and monitor blood sugars a little more closely than usual for the best success at diabetes management and work.