Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

My eight year old son has had type 1 diabetes since he was 11months old and is now on an insulin pump. His blood sugars have been very good since he has been on the pump with hemoglobin A1cs all under 6.9%. He is a very active boy but still on the immature side and not always able to tell if he is going low.

I would love to send him to one of the diabetes camps in the Atlanta area. I think it would be great for him. I have heard they are a great experience for the kids, and I want to let go a bit. My husband is very worried and feels that it is not a good idea due to my son's immaturity and the feeling we can take great care of him. I would worry too, but I think this would be a good thing for my son. Do you all recommend a well-run diabetes camp for kids?

Answer:

I honestly believe that a well-run diabetes camp is one of the best learning opportunities for kids with diabetes. They are able to be with a bunch of kids and not feel abnormal. They are able to make friends who can serve as a support group for them in between camp times. The skills they will pick up at camp should serve them well for years to come.

[Editor's comment: See our listing of diabetes camps. WWQ]