Question:

From Florida, USA:

Our basic life support order just addresses giving oral glucose for low sugar in adults. In emergency medical treatment of pediatric diabetics, are sugar readings considered and treated the same as for adults?

Answer:

Great question. Glucose readings are the same, but I tend to set the floor at 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] for younger children because they pass through it and get to a lower number so I want action at higher numbers. However, the children respond like adults; they are usually okay at 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] -- you just don't want the 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L].