Question:

From Regina, Saskatawan, Canada:

I have developed chronic renal insufficiency. What effect would the dextrose solution used for peritoneal dialysis have on glucose control?

Answer:

I assume you have diabetes and are concerned that the glucose in the peritoneal dialysis fluid will aggravate your blood sugar control and will raise your blood sugars. Even though you must address this, it is not a reason not to receive peritoneal dialysis. The ability of the glucose in the peritoneal dialysis fluid to raise your blood sugars is measured against the fact that insulin is not cleared as readily in chronic renal failure.

Several things can be done to alleviate this problem: If you are insulin, the dose can be increased. Or, your physicians can mix in Regular insulin with the peritoneal dialysis fluid and give insulin that way.