Question:

From Henderson, Nevada, USA:

I am 18 years old, have type 1 diabetes, and I am using an insulin pump. At my last visit, my endocrinologist asked me to go on a no-carb diet. How safe is a diet without any carbs? I am familiar with the benefits of cutting down on carbs, but I've never heard of cutting them all together. What is your opinion of a no-carb diet?

Answer:

I have never heard of the routine use of a no-carbohydrate diet in clinical practice.

[Editor's comment: Please doublecheck with your doctor (or the office nurse) to be sure you understood him/her correctly. And if they confirm that that is what was said, ask for a referral to a diabetes dietitian for advice about what might be appropriate for your situation. WWQ]