Question:

From Talent, Oregon, USA:

My 13 year old daughter has had a 20 to 25 pound weight gain per year since she was six, despite low caloric intake. The endocrinologist diagnosed her with a goiter and stated she may be insulin resistance (prior to lab testing). Her A1c is 4.8%, and her thyroid tests are within normal range. What does a low A1c mean?

Answer:

Hemoglobin A1c is useful for monitoring diabetes. Nothing else is standardized for A1c. Your child's value is normal. That is all it is.

I am aware of no research on A1c values in children without diabetes. The test just isn't done. Your doctor was looking for diabetes, but there is no support for diagnosing diabetes with A1c. Fasting glucose is used. Do we try to get some sense of glucose level? Yes.

[Editor's comment: See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c