My 14 year old niece who has had diabetes for the past five years, is on three injections of insulin daily, and she is not even a pinch of sugar, but her blood sugar is fluctuating. A doctor in this field told that us her pancreas is not working; it is dead. Will she have to take these injections throughout her life? Is her life in danger? Can her diabetes be cured if she attains menstruation?

Any person with type 1 diabetes will have diabetes for life. It means lifelong injections at the moment, since there is no cure as yet.

The important thing in diabetes is ensuring that your niece has good control which will help to prevent any of the known complications of diabetes.

I am sure you are aware of the research going on at present, and I am sure that diabetes care will change in the next 10 years. You never know, there may even be a cure.