Question:

My three and a half year old daughter, who was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, refuses to follow a regular diet pattern and doesn't want to consume high fiber foods. She is fond of sweets and always wants ice cream, chocolates, and other sweets. Please help me out. Although this must be a very common question, I really need your advice.

Answer:

In addition to following the general advice using the Food Guide Pyramid, I would suggest avoiding simple sugars (ice cream and various other sweets) although occasionally having a sweet as a treat is okay. Visiting with a dietitian who has experience in treating kids with diabetes would be beneficial for you.

[Editor's comment: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin a great reference for managing a toddler with diabetes. SS]

Posted to Behavior