Question:

From Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA:

My 18 month old granddaughter went for a check up, my daughter and was told "her breath smelled sweet", so my daughter began checking her with a borrowed meter. While most of her numbers seem normal, she had a reading of 44 mg/dl [2.4 mmol/L] two hours after a high carb lunch. When the doctor was called he said it was "probably nothing" and not to worry, but I'm worried! What could explain this?

Answer:

A normal blood sugar is 65-110 mg/dl [3.6-6.1 mmol/L]. Blood sugars outside this range are abnormal in most cases and may require some further testing. I would advise having your daughter set an appointment with the pediatrician to discuss these concerns in person.