Question:

From Big Bear Lake, California, USA:

Since my 14 year old son was diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes (about seven months ago), he "feels hot" most of the time and also sweats more than he did before diagnosis. This problem sometimes makes him self-conscious, even though he showers once or twice a day and wears deodorant. Is there anything else we can do to alleviate this problem? Will he always feel hot?

Answer:

I am not sure what is the cause of his symptoms. It is important to make sure he is not running low. Other than that, I cannot think it is his diabetes causing this.

JS

[Editor's comment: Perhaps these symptoms are merely a result of pubertal hormonal surges. If you are concerned, I suggest discussing them with your son's physician. SS]

[Editor's comment: Another thought: ask your son's physician about checking for hyperthyroidism. WWQ]

Posted to Other and Diagnosis and Symptoms

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.