Question:

From Big Bear Lake, California, USA:

Since my 14 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (about seven months ago), he "feels hot" most of the time and also sweats more than he did before diagnosis. This problem sometimes makes him self-conscious, even though he showers once or twice a day and wears deodorant. Is there anything else we can do to alleviate this problem? Will he always feel hot?

Answer:

I am not sure what is the cause of his symptoms. It is important to make sure he is not running low. Other than that, I cannot think it is his diabetes causing this.

JS

[Editor's comment: Perhaps these symptoms are merely a result of pubertal hormonal surges. If you are concerned, I suggest discussing them with your son's physician. SS]

[Editor's comment: Another thought: ask your son's physician about checking for hyperthyroidism. WWQ]

Posted to Other and Diagnosis and Symptoms